لینک های دسترسی

New Round of Fighting in Afghanistan - 2001-09-02


A spokesman for Taleban authorities said Taleban soldiers have captured several opposition outposts in a new offensive launched Sunday near Bagram Air Base north of Kabul.

An opposition spokesman conceded the Taleban had made initial gains in the drive, which was backed by aerial bombing, but said the offensive had been quickly repulsed by forces under the command of Ahmad Shah Masood.

The opposition spokesman said the fighting is taking place on the so-called New Road east of Bagram.

Bagram served as a major air base for Soviet forces during their occupation of Afghanistan in the 1980s but has been in disuse in recent years after changing hands between rival forces several times.

Fundamentalist Taleban forces now control about 90 per cent of the country including most main towns and roads, but the opposition has continued to cling to the remaining 10 per cent.

XS
SM
MD
LG