U-S Attorney General John Ashcroft says some people involved in last month's terrorist attacks in New York and near Washington are likely still at large in the United States.
In Sunday morning television interviews, Mr. Ashcroft said law enforcement agencies nationwide continue to track down leads in an effort to find all those responsible and to prevent further attacks.
He says authorities are trying to find almost 200 people wanted for questioning in connection with last month's attacks.
However, Mr. Ashcroft says the Bush Administration considers the latest threats from Afghanistan's ruling Taleban and Osama bin Laden's terror network to be in his words "propaganda."
In a videotaped message, al-Qaida spokesman Sulaiman Abu Ghaith vowed that airplane hijackings would continue until the United States and Britain end military action in Afghanistan, stop supporting Israel and leave the Arabian peninsula. Other demands include lifting the embargo against Iraq and stop supporting India in its conflict with Pakistan over Kashmir.
A U-S magazine, Newsweek, reports the F-B-I has evidence the al-Qaida network has placed at least four calls to telephone numbers in the United States since the September 11th attacks. Newsweek says the prevailing theory is that al-Qaida was trying to activate more terrorist cells.