U-S investigators looking into the reported killing of Afghan civilians during a U-S bombing raid in Uruzgan province late last month have arrived in the neighboring country of Uzbekistan to interview American troops involved in the operation.
An American military spokesman at Afghanistan's Bagram Air Base, Colonel Roger King, told reporters today (Wednesday) the investigating team is in Uzbekistan's Khanabad air base. The spokesman declined to give further details.
Afghan officials say 48 people were killed and more than 100 others were wounded when a U-S AC-130 gunship fired on several villages in Uruzgan province during an operation on June 30th. U-S military officials say the attack was launched after troops reported coming under anti-aircraft fire from sites near the villages. U-S officials have said civilians were killed but they have not accepted Afghan figures pending the investigation.
Meanwhile, U-S special forces in Uruzgan have found a weapons cache in the provincial capital of Tarin Kot. Colonel King said Afghan soldiers late Monday led U-S forces to the cache that contained several thousand rounds of small arms and machine gun ammunition as well as a rocket-propelled grenade and grenade launcher and a mortar.