The situation remains unclear in the besieged northern Afghan city of Kunduz, where Taleban and foreign al-Qaida fighters are surrounded by opposition forces.
News reports say Taleban commanders have reached a surrender agreement with leaders of the Northern Alliance. But details, especially regarding al-Qaida fighters, are still sketchy.
A Western television broadcast showed pictures of hundreds of Taleban fighters apparently preparing to surrender in one part of the city today (Thursday).
U-S warplanes are also reported to be bombing nearby targets, possibly outposts of defiant al-Qaida fighters.
Northern Alliance commanders along the front-line say their forces came under mortar fire as they tried to advance towards the city.
Kunduz is the last Taleban-held city in northern Afghanistan.
Meanwhile, the Taleban is vowing to defend the southern city of Kandahar and nearby areas still under its control. A Taleban spokesman (Tayab Agha) told reporters in the border town of Spin Boldak Wednesday that the Taleban would never relinquish control of Kandahar, the militia's spiritual home.
The spokesman also said the Taleban no longer has any contact with Osama bin Laden.
America's top general, Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Richard Myers, said Wednesday the leader of the al- Qaida terrorist network is on the run and Washington will pursue him wherever he goes. General Myers said the United States has so far not been able to locate the world's number-one fugitive. But he said constant pressure by U-S-led forces in Afghanistan is making it difficult for Osama bin Laden to carry out further attacks.